Monday, May 31, 2010

Oh my goodness

Things have been wild and I've totally neglected my blog.  I have been sewing like a mad woman and didn't even post any of the stuff I made!

First off, here's Anna-Belle's birthday dress.  It's an Ottobre pattern - actually two patterns from two different issues.  I made the bloomers to cover her diapers since I think little girls look adorable with matching diaper covers instead of diapers with regular covers or (ick) disposables under a pretty dress.

front view

 back view

I wasn't sure when I started if the pink and lilac would look good together.  Well, it does.  In fact, it looks great!  Mom and Dad love the outfit.  They love just about anything I make for her.  Maybe now she won't live in the blue and yellow pinwheel outfit I made her.  Sheesh.  She has that one on an awful lot.
I made this dress for Abby for their vacation to Florida.  It was originally intended for her sister-in-law's wedding, but she used it before then so she is going to wear it for graduation instead.  I had to take in above the bust just a little, about an inch front and back, in order for it to fit well.  Of course this meant I had to remove the zipper (on the right side) zippers are the bane of my existence.  She loves the dress, though.  And, I will admit, it looks good on her.

Here is the tote I made for Abby's mother's day gift.  I wanted something a little different, so I made it fully lined with lots and lots of pockets, and made the bag part so that I had enough to fond down at the top.  The result was a tote with 6 pockets on the inside and 2 on the outside; the outer pockets are denim, one smaller than the other and centered on the bigger one.  The webbing is strong enough to hold just about anything she can fit in the bag.  The sizes of the internal pockets are varied so that she can put all kinds of things in there.  In fact, it would even be good for the boys' swimming lessons later this summer.

I made myself a wrap around skirt.  It's too small according to the pattern, so I'm going to need to make another one, but it fits better than a lot of things I've made, and it was most definitely a learning process.  I know how to fix the pattern for the next skirt.  It won't be too hard.

I've had this fabric for a little while and wasn't sure it would be good for a skirt.  The nice thing about quilting fabric is that it doesn't wrinkle as much as some cotton fabric; it is also rarely see-through like some cheaper stuff.  I will be using this pattern again.  I do have to alter the pattern but it won't be tough.

I've drafted two basic patterns in the last couple days.  I used the sew what? SKiRTS  book to make a basic A-line pattern for myself.  I cut out the skirt today using black and multicolored batik fabric.  I added pockets to the side seams because I need pockets in my skirts and dresses.  They are practically essential.
I also traced a tank top and made a muslin of inexpensive rib knit; this showed me where I needed to change the pattern to make it fit better.  After the alterations I made another top using some brown pointelle rib knit I had been saving for this kind of top, and it looks great.  It fits like a dream.  Unfortunately, I don't have any brown stretch lace, foldover elastic or any other kind of trim in a dark brown - I'll have to wait till the stuff I ordered today arrives.

My cursor is acting weird again.  Hmmmm....

God bless you all and keep you safe.  Have a good week.


Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Lovely bit of sewing there!

daisymarie said...

I especially like the pink and purple...a favorite combo, like kelly green and navy.